Thursday 1 September 2016

WICKED 10: Thomas Sutcliffe


Firstly, tell us what part you played and what year(s) you were in the company! 
I was in the Ensemble, first cover to the role of Boq, which I played many times. I joined the West End cast at the start of 2010 and left at the end of 2011.

Do you remember seeing WICKED for the first time? When and where was it?
I saw Wicked for the first time in the West End in 2006.

Did you ever think you’d be in the show one day?
When I first saw the show I was in my first year of Drama School. At that age I wasn’t really in tune with my own casting potential and didn’t really know where I fitted in within the industry. I don’t remember thinking ‘I could see myself in that show’ I just fell in love with the music and story. It was only when I saw the show again a year or so later I remember thinking, ‘I could see myself playing Boq’.

What is your best memory from your time at WICKED?
I have so many amazing memories from my time in Wicked, from the people I met to the wonderful experiences of being a part of such an epic production. I think my best memory would have to be playing Boq for Wicked’s 5th Birthday. I felt so privileged to be on for the role as we marked the occasion. My daily chats with Julie Legrand by the lift are also a lasting fond memory!

Tell us one embarrassing story from your time in the show…
I think my fellow cast members can vouch for me when I say I probably embarrassed myself a lot off stage – mainly for constantly singing Glinda’s songs in the wings! Nothing hugely embarrassing ever happened on stage though, thankfully. We did have one show when the Wardrobe tracked onstage the wrong way round in the Governor’s Mansion scene – I won’t say too much as it’ll give some of the ‘magic’ of the show

If you could return to WICKED and play any other character, which would it be and why?
One day I’d love to return to the show as Dr Dillamond. He’s such a kindly character, with a nice emotional journey. I’d give the Wizard a go too! They’re both great roles.

Do you have a favourite part of the show?
There are so many parts of the show that I love. During my track I really enjoyed singing ‘No One Mourns the Wicked’ and ‘The March of the Witch Hunters’. I also love ‘Thank Goodness’ in terms of watching Glinda’s character development. ‘No good Deed’ is also a really thrilling part of the show. I don’t really have a favourite part – it’s all so great!

The WICKED movie has confirmed its release date, is there any famous names you’d like to see in it? 
To be honest I’ve never been a celebrity-obsessed person so nobody springs to mind. Having said that I think Meryl Streep would be a fantastic Madame Morrible!

If you could describe WICKED in less than 5 words, what would they be?
Epic, spectacular, thrilling – a masterpiece!

Follow Thomas on Twitter: @TSutcliffe1

Share:
Blog Design by pipdig