Thursday 1 September 2016

WICKED 10: Sam Lupton


Firstly, tell us what part you played and what year(s) you were in the company! 
I played Boq in the London company from October 2012 to September 2015

Do you remember seeing WICKED for the first time? When and where was it?
I do! It was 2006 and I was watching Idina Mentzel play Elphaba in the origional London Run. I believe the show was still in previews. I also watched Katie Rowley Jones play Nessa Rose in that performance who I got to perform alongside for my time in the show. 

Did you ever think you’d be in the show one day?
I didn't. I thought it was a job or show that was out of reach. I believed I would never have the dance ability to be in the show. I worked for years to try to get to that level and a few years later was lucky enough to get an audition for the show.

What is your best memory from your time at WICKED?
Too many. My opening night is still a strong memory. It was incredible. That music played such a part in my love of musical theatre as a teenager, I'd listened to it for years. Hearing the score being played by the orchestra and me getting to sing along for the first time, it was pretty incredible. Other great memories are from cast change days which are always a roller coaster of emotion. Laugh and crying whilst saying goodbye to the people who are leaving. 


Tell us one embarrassing story from your time in the show…
I don't really get embarrassed, the show is such a well oiled machine that things rarely go wrong.

If you could return to WICKED and play any other character, which would it be and why?
Madame Morrible, what a part! A classic villain. 

Do you have a favourite part of the show?
I used to love performing the Governors Mansion scene. It's a great dramatic sequence to the show. I used to love playing it with Katie and our Elphaba every night. It's an emotional scene with a soaring score. 

The WICKED movie has confirmed its release date, is there any famous names you’d like to see in it? 
No, just me please!

If you could describe WICKED in less than 5 words, what would they be?
Green, magical, musical & spectacular. 


Follow Sam on Twitter: @samlupton 


Share:
Blog Design by pipdig