Thursday 1 September 2016

WICKED 10: Kieran Brown


Firstly, tell us what part you played and what year(s) you were in the company! 
I played Elphaba’s Father, Frex, Wiz Guard, Professor Niccidick, and was understudy Dillamond and the Wizard! So I was kept busy!

Do you remember seeing WICKED for the first time? When and where was it?
I saw if for the first time in 2009 and was just blown away. I mean its a proper Broadway spectacle, though I fell in love with the cast recording when it first came out so by the time of my audition, I knew every word! 

Did you ever think you’d be in the show one day?
No! I don’t dance really, so I didn’t think there would be a track suitable for me! Too old (and ugly!) for Fiyero, too young for Wizard and Dillamond so it was really a shock! 

What is your best memory from your time at WICKED?
I can’t think of one specific memory, I just remember the energy and banter we had backstage. Very often, it is the people you work with who make an experience memorable. We had plenty of laughs.  In thinking that, one does spring to mind one; a particular show Rachel Tucker did, and when she did the end of Defying Gravity, I was almost glued to the ground because I was so blown away with her power and passion. I almost forgot to run off in the blackout! 

Tell us one embarrassing story from your time in the show…
Well the one that springs to mine was when I was running off as Niccidick pushing the lion cub cage. The stage is slightly raked and I always had problems navigating it and running off quick into the wings (it’s heavy!). One time It swerved off downstage and I tried to stop it rolling further by doing a complete 180 degree spin around, exposing poor Harry Francis (who was working the lion cub puppet from underneath) to the whole audience! If i remember stage management had to run on and quickly grab the trolley! 

If you could return to WICKED and play any other character, which would it be and why?
In my younger days, I would have liked to have been Fiyero but unless anyone has a Harry Potter Time Turner, I think I can let that one go! Maybe one day the Wizard. It’s a nice track, and I love the song. Goes without saying, Elphaba is a dream role for anyone - anyone, male of female, who claims they haven’t thought what it would be like to play such a great character is lying…!

Do you have a favourite part of the show?
Defying Gravity. It’s up there with THE BEST moments in live theatre. I also used to love watching the OzDust Ballroom. It looked and sounded so beautiful, so joyous and I was ALWAYS blown away by the talent of my costars. I wish I could dance like that!

The WICKED movie has confirmed its release date, is there any famous names you’d like to see in it? 
I’d rather see talent cast over “names” to be honest!

If you could describe WICKED in less than 5 words, what would they be?
Spellbinding - not to be missed! 


Follow Kieran on Twitter: @Kierbro


Share:
Blog Design by pipdig