Thursday 1 September 2016

WICKED 10: Michelle Pentecost


Firstly, tell us what part you played and what year(s) you were in the company! 
I made my West End Debut with Wicked London back in March 2010 when I joined the ensemble as one of Galinda's best friends: Pfannee. This track is a 'cross over' track meaning I was a singer and dancer in the ensemble and meaning I absolutely LOVED my track as I got to do so much within the show. I started my time at Wicked without a cover, but then went on to be 2nd Cover Elphaba - I was the First ever 2nd Cover to get on for Elphaba, and then progressed to 1st Cover Elphaba. I did 4 contracts at Wicked and had a blast.  Before leaving the show in 2013, I also helped out the First tour of Wicked as Standby Elphaba. After leaving the show for 3 years, I recently returned to play the part of Elphaba for a short run of shows, and then officially left the cast of Wicked London again 3/9/16. Once you've been a part of Wicked you never really leave... "There's no place like home"!

Do you remember seeing WICKED for the first time? When and where was it?
I remember seeing Wicked for the first time when I was still training at Arts Ed London.  Myself and a college friend sat front row of the circle gripping each others knees whilst Idina Mensel sang her heart out as Elphaba.  Needless to say... I cried a lot at the end of Act 1. 

Did you ever think you’d be in the show one day?
It was a goal of mine to play Elphaba, so to achieve that feels simply WICKED.  Wicked was always one of the shows I knew I wanted to be a part of but I always seemed to miss the auditions due to being away with other shows.  So when my agent said that Wicked were holding one final day of auditions as they were looking for 1  more girl, I knew I needed to nail it!!

What is your best memory from your time at WICKED?
I had my dress run as Elphaba on the Tuesday daytime and had a severe throat infection. My nephew was born on the Thursday and then I made my West End debut as a Leading Lady - ELPHABA on the Friday! That week was the most emotional week ever.  A rollercoaster of emotions in fact. It was the best!

Tell us one embarrassing story from your time in the show…


If you could return to WICKED and play any other character, which would it be and why?
I would love to play the comedy of Galinda.  She has so many one liners and great moments of pure fun that it would be great to play her.  Plus I have defied gravity with a broom it'd be great to do it in a bubble. But I would also love to return to Wicked in many years time and be the Diva that is Madame Morrible. She is Wicked royalty this lady.  All of the Morrible's that I have worked with have been such incredible, strong and fabulous ladies that if I could bring half of their class to the character then I'd love to! 

Do you have a favourite part of the show?
My favourite part of Wicked is No Good Deed.  This is the moment when Elphaba is right on the edge and then pretty much falls off!  I love playing Elphaba's multiple characteristics but my favourite is 'crazy Elphie'. Elphaba is such a strong individual but at this point you see how even the strongest of people have their breaking point. The stage is bare so it is down to you the actress to tell her story and show the range of emotions that she is going through. And who doesn't love having a BeyoncĂ© moment!  Being on stage with a wind machine! Brilliant!

The WICKED movie has confirmed its release date, is there any famous names you’d like to see in it? 

If you could describe WICKED in less than 5 words, what would they be?
Life changing & epic. 

Follow Michelle on Twitter: @MichPentecost


Share:
Blog Design by pipdig