Sunday 25 September 2016

WICKED 10: James Gillan



Firstly, tell us what part you played and what year(s) you were in the company! 
I played the role of Boq the first 2 years of the run. 

Do you remember seeing WICKED for the first time? When and where was it?

Yes my dearest friend Ashleigh Gray and I where on a break from the UK tour of Taboo, so we decided to go to New York, we saw wicked (not long opened) and said we both wanted to be in it and we where! It was magical. 

Did you ever think you’d be in the show one day?

I knew when I saw it on Broadway I wanted to play Boq. I was thrilled to be the original in London and I loved using my Scottish accent, that was all my idea, I just thought he suited it. 

What is your best memory from your time at WICKED?

Just the whole buzz with Idina (Menzel) coming over, all the principles got to meet the night before rehearsals for a meal with some of the creative team just to say hi ,and I think welcome Idina. But I've lots of great memory's, too many to go into. 


Tell us one embarrassing story from your time in the show…

Again, I've tons! Off the top of my head I'd say forgetting to come in for the matinee one day, I was convinced it was a Thursday and it wasn't it was a Wednesday... Idiot! 

If you could return to WICKED and play any other character, which would it be and why? 

I don't think I'm right for anything else in the show really. I was happy with my time there, I wish I had a go in the bubble though, so I'd like to do that. 

Do you have a favourite part of the show?

I used to love standing at the side and listening to no good deed before witch hunters, I think that's when the show cranks it up to another level.

The WICKED movie has confirmed its release date, is there any famous names you’d like to see in it? 

I think Eliza Doolittle (the pop star) would be an amazing Elphaba, I know her mum and I've heard her sing theatre songs I would cast her in a flash. I'd love to see idina come back and play the mother at the beginning, I think that would be nice. 


If you could describe WICKED in less than 5 words, what would they be?

Lemons and melons and pears.


Follow James on Twitter: @JamesGillan8


Share:
Blog Design by pipdig