Monday 26 September 2016

WICKED 10: Dale Rapley



Firstly, tell us what part you played and what year(s) you were in the company! 
I played the Wizard and Dr Dillamond in the first year of the UK and Ireland tour 2013/14. 

Do you remember seeing WICKED for the first time? When and where was it?

I first saw Wicked at the Apollo Victoria in the spring of 2013, when I knew I was likely to have an audition for the show later that year. 

What is your best memory from your time at WICKED?
My best memory was the amazing audiences at the rather cramped, but more intimate, Kings Theatre Glasgow, where I think the show worked best, even though they had to almost re-build the theatre to fit the set in. And even then, we didn't manage to get it all in! 

Tell us one embarrassing story from your time in the show…

The most embarrassing thing that happened was while I was playing Dr Dillamond in Dublin, when the blackboard completely collapsed onto the stage, after I'd tried to spin it round, and my next line was, 'Who is responsible for this?' It did get a laugh - not least from all the Shiz students who were facing me with their backs to the audience! 


If you could return to WICKED and play any other character, which would it be and why? 

I played both the Wizard and Dr Dllamond on tour, so I was very lucky. I don't think they'd cast me as anything else! I've often wondered what it would be like to get up in that bubble, however...

Do you have a favourite part of the show?

My favourite part of the show is Wonderful. It's a great vaudeville number between a couple of strong personalities. I enjoyed the fun challenge of trying to get Elphaba back on side every night. 

The WICKED movie has confirmed its release date, is there any famous names you’d like to see in it? 

Joel Gray was the original Wizard on Broadway. I'd love to see him back on screen. He was so memorable as the MC in the movie of Cabaret, I'm sure he'd make a truly wonderful impact in the Wicked movie too. 

If you could describe WICKED in less than 5 words, what would they be?

WICKED: a musical extravaganza with heart. 


Follow Dale on Twitter: @dalerapley

Share:
Blog Design by pipdig