Thursday 1 September 2016

WICKED 10: Annalene Beechey


Firstly, tell us what part you played and what year(s) you were in the company! 
I was part of the original London cast of Wicked as the standby to Glinda. Can't believe it was 10 years ago?! Crazy.

Do you remember seeing WICKED for the first time? When and where was it?
Yes. I saw Wicked on Broadway not long after it opened and saw the original cast. I remember we got the start time wrong and only just made it for curtain up!

Did you ever think you’d be in the show one day?
I remember when I watched the show thinking I would love to do it and Glinda was a role I could play. Positive thinking! 

What is your best memory from your time at WICKED?
I suppose performing What is this Feeling on Children in Need was pretty cool. I'd actually only done two performances of Glinda at that point so was fairly terrified. And I remember Idina saying she was nervous and thinking, 'YOU'RE nervous??'

Tell us one embarrassing story from your time in the show…
Well, it's not really an embarrassing one but I did green myself one night during act one to surprise Kerry Ellis when she came offstage at the interval. In retrospect, if I'd had to go on for Glinda in an emergency whilst green I wouldn't have been 'popular' but it was funny. And I didn't look great green. It either works for you or it doesn't! 

If you could return to WICKED and play any other character, which would it be and why? 
Ummm... Well. Er... I suppose my only option would be Madame Morrible unless I could be a gender neutral Wizard! That'd be fun..

Do you have a favourite part of the show?
I always used to love from For Good onwards really. Although I really enjoyed Popular. I love trying out new things with comedy. 

The WICKED movie has confirmed its release date, is there any famous names you’d like to see in it? 
Not particularly. As long as they can actually sing it I don't mind. I'd rather a couple of amazing unknowns as Glinda and Elphie with vocal chops to die for and bring back Miriam Margolyes as Madame Morrible. Loved her.

If you could describe WICKED in less than 5 words, what would they be?
Magical. Moving. Funny. Witches. Wizards.


Follow Annalene on Twitter: @annalenebeechey



Share:
Blog Design by pipdig