Saturday 1 October 2016

WICKED 10: Lauren James Ray


Firstly, tell us what part you played and what year(s) you were in the company! 
I first joined WICKED in 2009 as ensemble (fainting girl some people call it) and 2nd cover Nessarose and left in 2011. I rejoined WICKED originally for 5 months during 2014 as ensemble (fainting girl), shared 1st Glinda, 2nd Nessarose. I then continued my contract until 2016 as first cover Nessarose, 2nd cover Glinda. All in all Ive been a part of the show for 4.5 years!

Do you remember seeing WICKED for the first time? When and where was it?
I do! It was in London 2006 and it was my birthday treat. 

Did you ever think you’d be in the show one day?
From seeing the show, I knew I wanted to do it and I always hoped I’d be in it. I was thrilled when I finally got to be a part of it in 2009 and even more so when I went back in to it in 2014 with a Glinda cover.

What is your best memory from your time at WICKED?
There are so many! But the best is when I met my future husband on my very first contract there as he worked in the building. After that, it was when I got to go on for my scheduled Glinda show recently and all my friends and family were in watching. As a cover you dont always know when or if you’ll get on so it was such an incredible night! Getting to play Nessarose so often has been wonderful too! And I have made some ridiculously wonderful friends on the show over the years who’ve made the journey all the more unforgettable! See, so many!!

Tell us one embarrassing story from your time in the show…
Again, there are so many! But I think for me it was when I was playing Nessarose and after Elphabas spinning spell on my wheelchair in Shiz (its supposed to stop spinning!) it just continued! I was whipping my head round as fast as I could to see Elphaba and say my lines and held on to the wheels for dear life to make the chair stop, but it didn’t! Evidently it was one strong spell Elphaba cast that evening! The song spinning around by Kylie Minogue was mentioned a few times to me that night too...

If you could return to WICKED and play any other character, which would it be and why?
Id be grateful to return as either of the witches! Theyre both such incredibly strong characters and are dream roles to play.

Do you have a favourite part of the show?
Its a huge spectacle from start to finish, with some exceptionally poignant moments I dont think I could choose! I really do love it all.

The WICKED movie has confirmed its release date, is there any famous names you’d like to see in it? 
I think some famous names should be created from it! We have a huge wealth of talent in Londons West End that could do the job without a doubt!

Follow Lauren on Twitter: @LaurenJamesUK



Share:
Blog Design by pipdig