Wednesday 21 September 2016

WICKED 10: George Ure



Firstly, tell us what part you played and what year(s) you were in the company! 
My adventure with the show started in 2008 when I joined the London company as 2nd U/S for Boq. In 2009 I was promoted to 1st U/S, and in 2010 I took over the role. I came back to the show in 2013 as part of the Original UK/Irelend Tour.

Do you remember seeing WICKED for the first time? When and where was it?
I remember it like it was yesterday. I saw the first week of previews in London, 2006 which was the start of my 2nd Year at drama school. I payed £6.50 for my ticket (I still have the ticket….) and sat in Circle Row S. I didn't care how far away I was - just being there was electric.

Did you ever think you’d be in the show one day?
I truly hoped I would be, but it honestly felt like such a far off reality. On the evening mentioned above, I stood in the Circle Bar and said quite firmly to my friend…”I’m going to be in this”. Fast forward to April 2008 and the phone call came. The rest, as they say, is history.

What is your best memory from your time at WICKED?
After 4 years in the company, its almost impossible to pick just one. My very first performance will stay with me forever, as will the day the phone rang to say I would be assuming the role of Boq. These were real life changing events for me. One more is opening the tour with my best friend as Glinda (Miss Emily Tierney). That was a real moment.

Tell us one embarrassing story from your time in the show…
One of the funniest for me is probably the night where I was in such a rush to the wing for the curtain call, I didn't realise I was wearing my huge fluffy blue slippers with my beautiful silver suit! I then had to keep them on for the entire bow. Luckily for me everyone was in good humour, as the Company Manager marched me round the building to show everybody backstage!

If you could return to WICKED and play any other character, which would it be and why? 
ANY other character? Then it would have to be Elphaba. What a gift to get painted green and have the chance to fly whilst belting out those huge numbers. Also, she's the underdog which I love.

Do you have a favourite part of the show?
Again - so many, but if I had to pick one….No Good Deed. It’s a real pivotal moment in the story, and the whole sequence is just breathtaking.

The WICKED movie has confirmed its release date, is there any famous names you’d like to see in it? 
I think Maggie Smith would make a wonderful Madame Morrible, as would Meryl Streep. I wonder if they have room for a short Scottish guy.

If you could describe WICKED in less than 5 words, what would they be?
Spectacular, Magical, Human……Wonderful. 

Follow George on Twitter: @george_ure

BOOK YOUR WICKED TICKETS HERE

Photo credit: Adam Hills

Share:
Blog Design by pipdig