Wednesday 24 May 2023

INTERVIEW: Shaun Escoffery & George Asprey, both celebrating 15 Years in the London production of The Lion King


Since opening in 1997, 24 global productions of The Lion King have been seen by more than 100 million people in over 100 cities in 20 countries, on every continent except Antarctica, and its worldwide gross exceeds that of any entertainment title in box office history and is the West End’s best-selling stage production and the sixth longest-running West End musical of all time.

Shaun Escoffery and George Asprey, who play Mufasa and Scar in Disney’s The Lion King in the West End, both celebrated their 15th anniversary in the landmark production, making them the longest-serving performers in the roles in any production of The Lion King respectively.

We were fortunate enough to catch up with them about the journey they have both been on in this mammoth West End show. 

Firstly, a massive congratulations on your 15th anniversary in The Lion King. How does it feel to have reached this huge milestone? 

George Asprey: Slightly surreal. It’s not a case of celebrating longevity because you only ever take one song at a time. It’s more like an accumulation because you’re only ever as good as your last show but now all of a sudden we've had fifteen years of the show. 

Shaun Escoffery: It’s a wonderful honour. I look back at myself and my partner in crime George with fondness and gratitude. We never dreamed we’d be doing this show for fifteen years. I feel extremely lucky to be able to do something we love with consistency. We are both aware of the huge responsibility that we have. 

The Lion King has been running for a while now, but in your experience how much has changed in the show over the years?

George Asprey: The main changes we’ve seen have been the cast as each year we have new people joining. They always bring in a different energy which we absorb and it just brings a fresh perspective to the show which is wonderful.

Shaun Escoffrey: I would agree with George - when people join the company they bring a new energy and excitement. We also have the dynamic of working with children who are brilliant and spontaneous. And even within our roles, we’re always seeking to discover new things and to keep exploring and developing our characters.

It's actually quite rare that an actor in the West End stays more than a few years in a show. What made you guys want to stay through to your 15th Year?

George Asprey: I love the role of Scar. I think he is probably the greatest Disney villain ever created. He’s so clever and witty. And I love not only my role but the whole artistic experience of the stage show which continues to surprise me. 

Shaun Escoffery: First of all, I love the show, love the music and the character of Mufassa. I also love the cast members and the company - I have made some of my best friends here. I just love everything about the show and my heart is firmly here and will be for the foreseeable future…

What was your experience with the show before you started performing in it?

George Asprey: I loved the film and was always drawn to Scar. I loved the wit of the character and Jeremy Irons is one of my favourite actors. When the musical came out - it was so big - I never imagined I would be a part of it. To then get an audition and be offered the part was a really mind-blowing experience.

Shaun Escoffrey: I remember seeing on the news that The Lion King was coming to the West End and was immediately interested. I auditioned for the role of Simba and got a part in the ensemble but ended up signing a record deal instead. I never actually got to see it until I got the part of Mufasa years later and it’s been the most incredible experience ever since.

Other Disney films have been adapted into West End shows over the years, with varying degrees of success. What is it about The Lion King that has kept audiences coming back for almost 25 years? 

George Asprey: One reason for The Lion King’s success has got to be the music, it is the ultimate soul music. Every night I see that the show appeals to every single age group on different levels, from the spectacle that the kids are amazed at through to the story that the adults are fully invested in - it is Shakespeare after all the return of the prodigal son!

Shaun Escoffrey: Where to even start? It’s timeless. There really is something in it that everyone, no matter where they are from, seems to identify with. The story seems to transcend languages and cultures and age groups. Alongside that you have the pure spectacle of it all - the music and the harmonies and the costumes and the colours - it’s something special. You can’t pigeonhole it as any one thing, it stands alone. It's a masterpiece.

What are some of your favourite moments in the show?

George Asprey: My favourite moment is when I'm at the side of the stage right at the beginning of the show during The Circle of Life. I literally stand watching this extraordinary event unfold before my very eyes and I've got the best seat in the house. Then Shaun comes out of the rock and we look at each other and give each other a nod. We have done this every night for 15 years, it's like, we’ve got this.

Shaun Escoffrey: My favourite moment constantly changes. I love ‘Be Prepared’, particularly right at the end when everyone in the show is really giving it their all at the same time - the hyenas are all scared and Scar’s at his most terrifying. It’s such a climactic moment and I’m side stage about to go on so it sets me up for my next scene.

Can you see yourselves both doing another 15 years in the show?

George Asprey: I really don’t know how long this is going to go on for but at the moment I’m still loving every minute. I'm playing an incredible role, working with incredible people and get to spend every day with my best friends. It’s an honour to be able to play this role but obviously one day it’ll come to an end. We shouldn’t set time limits and it’s just about taking it one show at a time.

Shaun Escoffrey: It’s the biggest honour performing Mufasa and not something I take for granted. While you can never plan ahead, my heart is firmly here and will be for the foreseeable.

Are there any other Disney movies you think should be made into a West End show?

George Asprey: Finding Nemo would be a really good one. And maybe Freaky Friday as a pure comedy - it would be really fun. 

Shaun Escoffrey: Very good question because there's a few, but I think The Jungle Book could be something really special and fun if they could pull it off…

You can catch both George and Shaun in The Lion King at the Lyceum Theatre in London's West End. 

Share:
Blog Design by pipdig