Thursday 23 July 2020

The Corona Diaries: Nathanael Campbell



These recent times have been some of the hardest challenges we've faced and as a community, it hit us pretty hard. However during these difficult times, here at Pocket Size Theatre, we wanted to spread a little positivity and share some peoples experiences because we are all in this together. Each day we'll be speaking to our friends in the industry to share their experiences with you all so take a read and see how people are getting through these hard times. 

Let's stick together, share the love and get through this as a community!

Nathanael Campbell was most recently seen as Bob and others in Come From Away at the Phoenix Theatre. His other credits include Liver Lips Louie and Cover Sky Masterson in Guys & Dolls (Manchester Royal Exchange); Gregory Piven in Sunny Afternoon (UK Tour); Joe in Somewhere in England (Eastern Angles Theatre Company); David Lacks in All That Lives (Ovalhouse); Joseph in We Raise Our Hands in The Sanctuary (The Albany Theatre); Benvolio in Romero and Juliet (National Tour); Jerry Jefferson in Back to the Future (Secret Cinema) and Angus/Lenno in Macbeth (S4K National & International Tour).

On Monday 16th March 2020, The Society of London Theatre announced the closure of all Theatres in London. This followed suit with regional venues. Where were you when you found out and what was your initial reaction? 

I had finished Come From Away about a month earlier. So I had decided to take about a month out to just recharge and get back on the audition track. THEN BAM! Monday 16th March happened. I was at home and my housemate was rehearsing a play at the Royal Court, and when she told me it had been cancelled I really realised it was real. Was in shock, but didn’t know what to think really.

Can you tell us anything productive you’ve been doing?

I used to bake a lot, and as I was doing the show I just couldn’t find the time. So I decided to get back on that and try out new techniques/styles. I’ve also had a sewing machine for a while and haven’t really used it. I wanted to get better, so I started making T-Shirts and then masks when I realised we needed them too.

Feel free to look at my bakes on Instagram @bakewithnate 

There’s so much important information and messages being spread on social media but sometimes it can be quite mentally draining and consume a lot of your time, how have you been looking after your mental state whilst using these platforms?

It’s been a mind filed. It can be really toxic, but somehow I can’t keep away. Thankfully it’s not the first thing I do when I get up in the morning, I’m a little detached from it. BUT Twitter is full of opinions, some I agree with, some I really don’t and I just think it’s important to remember that pinch of salt, especially right now.

However, I will say seeing the outpouring of support of regarding the BLM movement has been really important for me to see and take part in. I hope it continues. 

With the Arts temporarily shut down, how would you advise people to continue to support the Arts industries? 

Any way you can. It’s hard, because we are preaching to the converted. But do what you can! Lots of people are creating great work, and showing such creativity and it’s amazing to see. I especially love seeing the lesser know ‘stars’ having a platform to show their talents. 
I’m taking part in a remake of the iconic Fleetwood Mac Album ‘Rumours’ for Diabetes UK with lots of amazing talents. Feel free to donate towards that!

Have you discovered anything that you’d like to recommend to our viewers? 

Well I love high art and theatrical explorations but the Real Housewives of Atlanta is on Netflix, its GOLD!

In these times of Social Distancing and isolation, how have you been trying to connect with Friends and Family?

My housemate went to be with her Boyfriend in France the day she knew her play was being put on hold, so I’ve been home alone for a while. Obviously a lot of zooms/FaceTimes, more quizzes than I ever thought I’d do in a lifetime. Thankfully now there are easing’s and the sun is shining we can meet up outside.

We'd like to thank Nathanael and all other performers who have given up their time to contribute to this feature.

For more information please visit GOV.UK and NHS.co.uk

Other useful links for anyone needing further help:

Acting For Others - Charity that provides financial & emotional support to all theatre workers in times of need.
Help Musicians - An independent Charity that helps all forms of Musicians through times of need.
Industry Minds - Mental Health Support for the creative arts.
Theatre Helpline - a free, independent and confidential phone and email service that provides support to people working in the theatre industry.
Share:
Blog Design by pipdig