Friday 29 May 2020

The Corona Diaries: Tosh Wanogho-Maud


These recent times have been some of the hardest challenges we've faced and as a community, it hit us pretty hard. However during these difficult times, here at Pocket Size Theatre, we wanted to spread a little positivity and share some peoples experiences because we are all in this together. Each day we'll be speaking to our friends in the industry to share their experiences with you all so take a read and see how people are getting through these hard times.

Let's stick together, share the love and get through this as a community!

*Some information mentioned in this article may be out of date due to the progress of the current situation. Please keep that in mind when reading* 

Tosh Wanogho-Maud was most recently seen playing Jimmy Early in Dreamgirls at the Savoy Theatre. His other credits include ensemble & cover Jimmy in Dreamgirls (Savoy Theatre); Joe in Showboat (New London Theatre); Willie in Showboat (Sheffield Crucible); Ensemble and understudy Mufala and General in The Book of Mormon (Prince of Wales Theatre); Cabaret Singer in Sweet Smell of Success (Arcola Theatre); Rufus & cover Curtis in Save the Last Dance (UK Tour); Ensemble and cover Host in Respect La Diva (Garrick Theatre) and Four-Eyed Moe in Five Guys Named Moe (Theatre at the Mill, Newtown Abbey). 

On Monday 16th March 2020, The Society of London Theatre announced the closure of all Theatres in London. This followed suit with regional venues. Where were you when you found out and what was your initial reaction? 

I was sitting in my lounge with family in Cheshire and I immediately thought about all of my friends in shows and just thought of the sheer magnitude of the situation. It felt like something shifted. 

Can you tell us anything productive you’ve been doing? 

I've actually been writing a book. It's something I have been brainstorming for a while. Very geektastic and science-fantasy, just the way I like it.

Whenever you log onto social media there is so much negativity circulating. How have you been trying to keep a positive mental attitude during these times? 

Thankfully the majority of the people on my social media accounts are all friends and so the majority of what I'm exposed to is positive. However, I think the world of social media is something we should all take with a pinch of salt.

With the Arts temporarily shut down, how would you advise people to continue to support the Arts industries? 

There are so many zoom workshops going on at the moment. I think they're a great way to support some of the out of work performers. And remember when the theatres finally do open. BUY A TICKET, FOLKS. 

Have you discovered anything that you’d like to recommend to our viewers? 

I've started watching Buffy from season 1, take from that what you will!

In these times of Social Distancing and isolation, how have you been trying to connect with Friends and Family? Any fun quizzes or games?! 

House party, house party, house party!

And finally, looking to the future, what are you most looking forward to when all of this is over? 

I think ultimately this lockdown has made me appreciate my family so much and has made me more adamant to dedicate more time to myself and my loved ones. I'm so incredibly blessed to have made a career out of doing what I love and I'm just so excited to get back to it. The theatre community is such a tight-knit group of people and I can't wait until we can all get back together and have fun telling stories. 

We'd like to thank Tosh and all other performers who have given up their time to contribute to this feature.

For more information please visit GOV.UK and NHS.co.uk

Other useful links for anyone needing further help:

Acting For Others - Charity that provides financial & emotional support to all theatre workers in times of need.
Help Musicians - An independent Charity that helps all forms of Musicians through times of need.
Industry Minds - Mental Health Support for the creative arts.
Theatre Helpline - a free, independent and confidential phone and email service that provides support to people working in the theatre industry.
Share:
Blog Design by pipdig