Friday 8 May 2020

The Corona Diaries: Georgina Castle


These recent times have been some of the hardest challenges we've faced and as a community, it hit us pretty hard. However during these difficult times, here at Pocket Size Theatre, we wanted to spread a little positivity and share some peoples experiences because we are all in this together. Each day we'll be speaking to our friends in the industry to share their experiences with you all so take a read and see how people are getting through these hard times.

Let's stick together, share the love and get through this as a community!


*Some information mentioned in this article may be out of date due to the progress of the current situation. Please keep that in mind when reading* 

Georgina Castle most recently played the role of Doralee in the touring company of 9 to 5 and was due to join the London company. She has also played the role of Sophie in Mamma Mia! (Novello Theatre); Charley in Twist and Turn (The Other Palace) and Lisa Houseman in Dirty Dancing (UK tour).


On Monday 16th March 2020, The Society of London Theatre announced the closure of all Theatres in London. This followed suit with regional venues. Where were you when you found out and what was your initial reaction? 

I was in my dressing room at the Novello Theatre putting a face on and getting ready for our company warm-up when we found out that the show wouldn’t be going ahead. We all knew that something had been brewing but I think as it was so late in the day most people thought we might have a bit more time. We had an emergency meeting on stage with the cast and then said our ‘goodbyes’ not knowing when we’d be back on that stage again (if ever as a cast). I remember taking a long walk by the river before heading home just to try and process the gravity of what was happening. It was a very sad evening. 

Can you tell us anything productive you’ve been doing? 

I wish I could say I’ve been super productive, learnt a new language or discovered a new talent for baking but the truth is a little more varied and sadly, I will always be a terrible cook. I don’t have the patience. I have been playing the piano a lot more than I normally get the time to do and have fallen back in love with it. Music is such a healer for me! I’ve also been doing some workout classes with 1RebelUK and Alice Liveing. They’ve been fab!

Whenever you log onto social media there is so much negativity circulating. How have you been trying to keep a positive mental attitude during these times? 

There is (and will always be) a lot of negativity on social media which is why it’s important we keep it at arm’s length and take anything we see on there with a pinch of salt. It can be a melting pot of anger and bitterness but I have been so uplifted by some of the content I’ve seen. Without the power of social media Captain Tom Moore wouldn’t have reached those dizzy fundraising heights! G’warnnn Tom!! 

With the Arts temporarily shut down, how would you advise people to continue to support the Arts industries? 

I think most have done a fantastic job so far in that they’re tuning into live streams and concerts and reaching out to their favourite performers to offer support and a much-needed boost. However, the pivotal point is going to be when theatres and venues re-open. We need an audience so please do come in your droves when its safe to do so! We will be SO HAPPY to see you! 

Have you discovered anything that you’d like to recommend to our viewers? 

Yes! I’ve loved listening to ‘Dear Joan and Jericha’ - a satirical, naughty and hilarious take on your normal ‘agony aunt write-in.’ They’re perfect if you need a giggle!

In these times of Social Distancing and isolation, how have you been trying to connect with Friends and Family? Any fun quizzes or games?! 

I have become quite obsessed with sporcle.com. It’s a website with challenges, quizzes and games on any and every topic. I’m incredibly lucky in that I’ve been isolating with my family so we’ve been able to enjoy some quality time together but to connect with friends I’ve been zooming, face timing, whatsapping and house-partying! All the ‘ings!’ 

And finally, looking to the future, what are you most looking forward to when all of this is over?

In a more general sense, I am looking forward to people finding stability again. There are so many world's that have been turned upside down and I want people to have the peace of mind that everything will be ok. And personally, I just can’t wait to be back on a stage again. It’s a funny old thing being a performer that can’t perform. What’s interesting about people that pursue this line of work is that it’s primarily our passion. I’m making a sweeping statement here but often you don’t get into this business unless you LOVE it and I know that's definitely the case for me. I cannot wait for the moment we’re all able to get back to doing what excites us most in the world. 

We'd like to thank Georgina and all other performers who have given up their time to contribute to this feature.

For more information please visit GOV.UK and NHS.co.uk

Other useful links for anyone needing further help:

Acting For Others - Charity that provides financial & emotional support to all theatre workers in times of need.
Help Musicians - An independent Charity that helps all forms of Musicians through times of need.
Industry Minds - Mental Health Support for the creative arts.
Theatre Helpline - a free, independent and confidential phone and email service that provides support to people working in the theatre industry.
Share:
Blog Design by pipdig