Monday 25 May 2020

The Corona Diaries: Chloe Hart


These recent times have been some of the hardest challenges we've faced and as a community, it hit us pretty hard. However during these difficult times, here at Pocket Size Theatre, we wanted to spread a little positivity and share some peoples experiences because we are all in this together. Each day we'll be speaking to our friends in the industry to share their experiences with you all so take a read and see how people are getting through these hard times.

Let's stick together, share the love and get through this as a community!

*Some information mentioned in this article may be out of date due to the progress of the current situation. Please keep that in mind when reading* 

Chloe Hart most recently played Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray at the Pimlico Opera, a role she previously played at the Shaftsbury Theatre. Her other credits include Ensemble in Light in the Piazza (Royal Festival Hall, LA Opera, Chicago); Ensemble in Evita (Regent's Park, Open Air Theatre); Val and cover Kelly Stevenson in Fat Friends (UK Tour); Pat in Kinky Boots (Adelphi Theatre); Dorcas in A Damsel in Distress (Chichester Festival Theatre); Ensemble in Wicked (Apollo Victoria Theatre); Ensemble and cover Madame Thenardier in Les Miserables (Queen's Theatre) and ensemble in Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert (O2 Arena). 

On Monday 16th March 2020, The Society of London Theatre announced the closure of all Theatres in London. This followed suit with regional venues. Where were you when you found out and what was your initial reaction? 

I was at home packing up my flat ready to move house on the Wednesday. I had finished a show the night before so my initial reaction was grateful that I had been able to finish the performances but very sad for my friends in shows that didn't know the Saturday before would have been their last one! It felt like it had all happened so quickly. 

Can you tell us anything productive you’ve been doing? 

Like most of the population, I have been learning a language, I wish I had taken out shares in Duolingo before all of this! I've also been baking and doing some home improvements in the garden. Myself and my partner have been working hard on our youtube channel too! We have wanted to do it for so long but never had the time, so this was the perfect opportunity. It's 'Beth and Chloe' on youtube if anyone fancies a look!

Whenever you log onto social media there is so much negativity circulating. How have you been trying to keep a positive mental attitude during these times? 

With regards to social media, I have been sharing anything positive to try and get that out there and trying to stay away from anything that is just speculation. Nothing good can ever come from that! I've also just been reminding myself how lucky I am that none of my friends or family have been sick with the virus! 

With the Arts temporarily shut down, how would you advise people to continue to support the Arts industries? 

It's difficult for me to say that people should be making donations to the arts as I know that we are all struggling financially throughout this. However you can support in other ways. Keep lifting each other up and supporting each other online. Looking after our fellow industry people, from all departments, is so important because we need to be ready to come back with a bang whenever that is possible.
Watch theatre online and share those performances with people in your life that may not have had the opportunity to see a lot of theatre in the past. You could be inspiring new audience members for when all this is over. 

Have you discovered anything that you’d like to recommend to our viewers? 

We watched Hunters on Amazon Prime which is pretty heavy going, but the acting in it is amazing! I'd recommend it to watch Al Pacino alone. I also finished watching Desperate Housewives for the first time. I'm so sad it's over! We obviously got Disney+ and I've watched all of the Imagineering Story which is all about how the Disney Parks were created and the ongoing development of them. It's so interesting! I've also loved watching any of the charity videos that have been made. The 22 Wicked Witches and the Worldwide Six Queens were my favourites! 

In these times of Social Distancing and isolation, how have you been trying to connect with Friends and Family? Any fun quizzes or games?! 

Lots and lots of Zooms! Thursday night is Quiz night with my Evita cast and its so much fun! They have been getting more and more outrageous each week! Tonight we have to dress up as someone else from the cast! We are also staying with family which is a lot of fun, so we have card games at 4 pm every day and then in the evening we usually play a board game! 

And finally, looking to the future, what are you most looking forward to when all of this is over? 

Seeing my friends and family, meeting my brand new niece, going to London to watch a show, and going to Nandos! I am also desperate to do lots of travelling! I have never wanted to get out and see the world more. And most importantly, Beth and I have had to postpone our wedding so I am looking forward to finally marrying the love of my life! 

We'd like to thank Chloe and all other performers who have given up their time to contribute to this feature.

For more information please visit GOV.UK and NHS.co.uk

Other useful links for anyone needing further help:

Acting For Others - Charity that provides financial & emotional support to all theatre workers in times of need.
Help Musicians - An independent Charity that helps all forms of Musicians through times of need.
Industry Minds - Mental Health Support for the creative arts.
Theatre Helpline - a free, independent and confidential phone and email service that provides support to people working in the theatre industry.
Share:
Blog Design by pipdig