Tuesday 14 April 2020

The Corona Diaries: Georgia Ware



These recent times have been some of the hardest challenges we've faced and as a community, its hit us pretty hard. However during these difficult times, here at Pocket Size Theatre, we wanted to spread a little positivity and share some peoples experiences because we are all in this together. Each day we'll be speaking to our friends in the industry to share their experiences with you all so take a read and see how people are getting through these hard times.

Let's stick together, share the love and get through this as a community!

*Some information mentioned in this article may be out of date due to the progress of the current situation. Please keep that in mind when reading* 

Georgia Ware is appearing as Meg in The Phantom on the Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre, a role she previously understudied before taking it over full time. She made her West End debut at the age of six in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang(London Palladium) and went on to play Little Cosette in Les Misérables (Palace and Queen’s) and appear in The Nutcracker (Royal Ballet, Royal Opera House).

On Monday 16th March 2020, The Society of London Theatre announced the closure of all Theatres in London. This followed suit with regional venues. Where were you when you found out and what was your initial reaction? 

I arrived at the theatre for a show, as usual, headed into the stalls for our weekly notes session and our company manager came in and informed us that the show was cancelled, it was so strange! It was very unsettling not knowing when the show would reopen and what would happen with our contracts. It’s been 3 weeks and I really miss it but it’s definitely made me realise how lucky I am to be in such an incredible show. 

Can you tell us anything productive you’ve been doing? 

I try to make a plan in the morning so I have some kind of routine or I get a little bit frustrated and bored. I have been doing a workout every day, whether it’s a HIIT workout or Pilates. I make sure I do some form of exercise in the morning. I’ve also been cooking which is something I never usually do as I work evenings, I can’t say I’m great at it but I’m definitely learning!

Whenever you log onto social media there is so much negativity circulating. How have you been trying to keep a positive mental attitude during these times? 

By not going on social media! I really try and limit the amount of time spent on my phone. It does nothing for your mental health and I’m always left feeling anxious and low after scrolling on Instagram/Facebook. I just watch the news to know what’s going on, that way you know the information you’re receiving is accurate. 

Have you discovered anything that you’d like to recommend to our viewers?

I actually just rewatched Doctor Foster because I loved that series! I’ve also just started Ozark which I’m really enjoying. The Split on BBC Iplayer is also amazing and so is Belgravia on ITV. As you can tell I’ve been watching a lot of TV! 

In these times of Social Distancing and isolation, how have you been trying to connect with Friends and Family? Any fun quizzes or games?! 

I have been FaceTiming a lot of friends and family, it really makes a difference to talk rather than text. I’m going to download the house party app too because I’ve heard really good things about it. A few of my friends and I are planning a quiz night! 

And finally, looking to the future, what are you most looking forward to when all of this is over? 

I can’t wait to get back to performing on stage, I'm really missing dancing. I will also be eating out pretty much every night once this is all over! Although it’s a horrible time at the moment it’s made me really grateful for the little things in life. 

We'd like to thank Georgia and all the other performers who have given up their time to contribute to this feature.

For more information please visit GOV.UK and NHS.co.uk

Other useful links for anyone needing further help:

Acting For Others - Charity that provides financial & emotional support to all theatre workers in times of need.
Help Musicians - An independent Charity that helps all forms of Musicians through times of need.
Industry Minds - Mental Health Support for the creative arts.
Theatre Helpline - a free, independent and confidential phone and email service that provides support to people working in the theatre industry.
Share:
Blog Design by pipdig