Monday 13 April 2020

The Corona Diaries: Ben Adams


These recent times have been some of the hardest challenges we've faced and as a community, it hit us pretty hard. However during these difficult times, here at Pocket Size Theatre, we wanted to spread a little positivity and share some peoples experiences because we are all in this together. Each day we'll be speaking to our friends in the industry to share their experiences with you all so take a read and see how people are getting through these hard times.

Let's stick together, share the love and get through this as a community!

*Some information mentioned in this article may be out of date due to the progress of the current situation. Please keep that in mind when reading*

Ben Adams is most famous for being in the boyband A1. He has appeared as Brad Majors in The Rocky Horror Picture Show (UK tour) and Nick Hurley in Flashdance (UK Tour) as well as Pantomimes such as Aladdin (Woking & Manchester) and Cinderella (Milton Keynes). He co-wrote the hit musical Eugenius! which played a concert production at the London Palladium and also played two runs at The Other Palace and has since received 7 'Offie' nominations at the Off-WestEnd awards.

On Monday 16th March 2020, The Society of London Theatre announced the closure of all Theatres in London. This followed suit with regional venues. Where were you when you found out and what was your initial reaction? 

I was on tour with A1, We had 40 or so sold-out dates and I think we only managed 29. So we have rescheduled them to February next year. It was the right thing to do but it was obviously a shame to not see all those people who had bought tickets, particularly at a time when people needed a lift mood-wise as it was all becoming pretty scary. As the queen says, "WE'LL MEET AGAIN"!

Can you tell us anything productive you’ve been doing?

I've been doing a lot of writing and producing actually, brilliant to have time to catch up on things I should have already done but didn't have time as I was on tour. We live-streamed Eugenius! to raise money for acting for others which was a huge success and raised a lot of money! You can still see it on youtube and our Facebook page if you wanna be cheered up! I'm also trying to get up to speed with all the social media platforms. Til Tok is fun, but I'm crap at it! Go follow benadamsuk if you want to laugh! We have a new A1 album in the making and I've been doing a lot of meetings and interviews over zoom, planning the return of Eugenius! and a new musical I've written. I also released a clip called THE STUDIO which was something I filmed with some friends of mine for a laugh. We are putting together episode 2 right now. And not many people are aware but I actually had a number 1 classical ep 'ONE BEAUTIFUL MOURNING' not too long ago, so I'll be releasing the follow up 9 MONTHS on April 24th. 

Whenever you log onto social media there is so much negativity circulating. How have you been trying to keep a positive mental attitude during these times? 

I mute anything negative, I try to keep my feed as normal as possible. If people want to be shouted at, angry or scared they can look elsewhere. It's not hard to find, just turn on the news. But that's not how I want to live my life so I try to provide content that will make people smile or show that it's possible to still live your life in a positive way, even at the darkest of times.

With the Arts temporarily shut down, how would you advise people to continue to support the Arts industries? 

Watch everything you can theatre wise online. I think Eugenius started a trend so there is a lot of material out there, I've watched a lot. Some great, some not so. but at least it will give you an idea of what you want to see when theatres are open again-you can't really ever experience the same magic in your living room.

Have you discovered anything that you’d like to recommend to our viewers? 

The morning show is a great series. And I'm already making my way through everything on Disney Plus. I'm a big kid really! 

In these times of Social Distancing and isolation, how have you been trying to connect with Friends and Family? Any fun quizzes or games?!

I've actually spoken to family and friends most days; exercised with them, had house parties with them (online obviously), we even tried articulate with my family. After the initial strangeness of it all, It's something I could get used to-even when all this is behind us!

And finally, looking to the future, what are you most looking forward to when all of this is over? 

Going to the Pub! Beer at home doesn't taste the same!

We'd like to thank Ben and all the other performers who have given up their time to contribute to this feature.

For more information please visit GOV.UK and NHS.co.uk

Other useful links for anyone needing further help:

Acting For Others - Charity that provides financial & emotional support to all theatre workers in times of need.
Help Musicians - An independent Charity that helps all forms of Musicians through times of need.
Industry Minds - Mental Health Support for the creative arts.
Theatre Helpline - a free, independent and confidential phone and email service that provides support to people working in the theatre industry.
Share:
Blog Design by pipdig