Tuesday 19 December 2017

REVIEW: Slava's Snowshow at the Royal Festival Hall


Returning back by popular demand, Slavas Snow Show runs until the 6th January at the Royal Festival Hall. It has delighted audiences all around the world for almost 30 years now, however it may not have left the same affect on me. 

The show has no narrative and is made up of sketches. I failed to see the links to the theme of the show, none of which were anything to do with snow or the festive season so why this is a Christmas must see is a mystery to me. The characters didn’t have enough for us to make a connection with; anytime we were close to, the sketch was over and it was time to see something else. 

Clowning is such an impressive skill to master and its safe to say this set of performers have it down to perfection but I think what let them down was the scale of the theatre. It swallowed them up. 

The execution of the production was impressive, although I may not be impressed by the content, the slickness and precision of the show was phenomenal. Set changes happened almost instantly and seamless transitions helped draw you into the magic of the show. It is just a shame the humour maybe didn't match up to that side of it for me. 

The final 10 minutes of the show was spectacular, the rest of it dragged and failed to captivate me. If I hasn’t been waiting for the snow, I would have left at the interval. 

I did not understand this show, I tried to wrap my head around it but it was just bizarre and failed to humour me. Saying that, many children around me loved it and couldn't stop laughing so maybe I am alone in my baffled state. 

Would I say this is good family entertainment that will get you into the festive season? No, to be honest. Would I say the price tag of up to £105 is worth it? Absolutely not. 

This is a very particular taste and I feel it may be a love it or hate it kind of show. 

Review by Mark Swale 

Rating: ★★
Share:
Blog Design by pipdig