Monday 3 October 2016

WICKED 10: Gregor Stewart



Firstly, tell us what part you played and what year(s) you were in the company! 
I was in the 2009/10 cast when Alexia Khadime was Elphaba, I was Ensemble and understudy Fiyero.

Do you remember seeing WICKED for the first time? When and where was it?
I do, I saw it in Previews when Idina Menzil was playing Elphaba, that night one of the big Flat heads (think that's what they are called... Big costume with clown feet) fell over and just lay there for one of the stage management to come out and drag them off stage it was hilarious. Also the Oz Head didn't work and Idina performed a time step and said that's live theatre before walking off for a show stop, it was brilliant.

Did you ever think you’d be in the show one day?

I remember watching Wicked with my Parents and saying to my mum "I'll play that part one day" and a year later I got the chance, I was so proud that night.


What is your best memory from your time at WICKED?
The cast were amazing, I still keep in touch with most of them now, it's hard to find a job where you can't wait to go to work to see your friends. My best memory was being on for Fiyero and Meatloaf was watching the show, that was pretty cool.

Tell us one embarrassing story from your time in the show…
My most embarrassing story of all time was while I was in wicked... it was the end of act one, I was furthest down stage in my Oz Guard costume and under the hat I had a stocking cap. I get up as usual and walked up stage but a tad slower than normal, I bumped into someone who wasn't normally there and before I knew it the curtain came in and I was now in front of the curtain with the lights up and in full view of the audience - MORTIFIED! I think I had to side step from centre stage to the side getting redder and redder with every step- I got in so much trouble as well as being the brunt of a lot of jokes from the cast, so embarrassing. 

If you could return to WICKED and play any other character, which would it be and why?
It was be fun if they did a silly show of Wicked for charity, where guys plays the girls and girls played the guys or something like that ha ha, Glinda is such a fun part and I wouldn't mind having a go at Popular in my falsetto voice!

Do you have a favourite part of the show?
Every night I would get the buzz like I did on my very first show in Emerald City and also singing as long as your mine 

The WICKED movie has confirmed its release date, is there any famous names you’d like to see in it? 
I mean imagine if BeyoncĂ© was Elphaba! Zac Efron will probably play Fiyero but no one can sing that part better than our Oli Tompsett! 

If you could describe WICKED in less than 5 words, what would they be?
Memorable, uplifting, enchanting, special and Moving. 

Follow Gregor on Twitter: @Gregor_Stewart


Photo credit: Claire Newman-Williams 
Share:
Blog Design by pipdig