Thursday 1 September 2016

WICKED 10: Maria Coyne


Firstly, tell us what part you played and what year(s) you were in the company! 
I was a member of the ensemble and also 1st understudy for Glinda and 2nd understudy for Nessarose. I was a part of the 2014-15 cast. 

Do you remember seeing WICKED for the first time? When and where was it?
I remember seeing Wicked for the first time on Broadway in 2004. The soundtrack had just started becoming really popular over here and so it was always playing in the college that I went to. I went over to New York for my 16th birthday and saw it there, I remember crying at the interval and when my mum asked why I was crying I said 'it's just so good.' And then I think it was all that I sang for my following year of college until my teachers told me I had to sing something else!

Did you ever think you’d be in the show one day?
It was always a dream to be a part of the show - I just hoped that I would be. And it was so nice that it happened ten years after I first saw it, so I got to spend my tenth anniversary of seeing it actually being in it!

What is your best memory from your time at WICKED?
My best memory of my time at Wicked is probably my first ever show playing Glinda. It was such a huge dream role of mine and just one of those real 'pinch yourself' moments. There's nothing like coming down in that bubble for the first time and seeing everyone looking up at you. It's terrifying and thrilling in equal measure. It was honestly not only one of my best memories of Wicked, but of my whole career so far. I also had to go and cover on the UK Tour for a couple of weeks and got to go on as Nessarose when I hadn't been on at the Apollo, and that was also an amazing time because it was such a lovely supportive cast and such an adventure. I was really fortunate to have a really exciting year in the show.

Tell us one embarrassing story from your time in the show…
I embarrass myself on a daily basis. I think I embarrassed myself in the audition more when I thought it appropriate to respond to a question with a Glinda lyric. And yes, I sang it. I thought it was going to be funny and clever but it was just completely embarrassing and one of those incidents where you wish a black hole would swallow you up. And then I was in such a hurry to get out in my embarrassed state that I dropped my sheet music and water everywhere and tripped over on my way out. I'm still not sure why they hired me!

If you could return to WICKED and play any other character, which would it be and why?
I'd like to be Chistery so that I could leap all over the set. But obviously THAT'S never going to happen haha. Realistically I would love to play Glinda one day, I will always miss the part as there's so much in it and it's so much fun, and even though I was lucky to play it in my time there, it's still a dream role to do again.

Do you have a favourite part of the show?
In the ensemble I used to love the Shiz scenes because they're so much fun. But I also used to love One Short Day because I absolutely adored my costume for it hahaha. If I was on for Nessarose my favourite part was Act Two and Wicked Witch of the East because it's just such a great scene. And my favourite part as Glinda was always Thank Goodness. It's just such a sensitive moment and I absolutely love the scene with Fiyero within it. My favourite is the lyrics to the last part of the song especially "because happy it what happens when all your dreams come true.......well, isn't it?", it's just so heartbreaking and so wonderful to get to play that.

The WICKED movie has confirmed its release date, is there any famous names you’d like to see in it? 
It's so so exciting that this is happening! I really don't have any preferences at all. I will just be excited to find out who does end up doing it! Whoever it is will be very lucky indeed!

If you could describe WICKED in less than 5 words, what would they be?
You'll be changed...for good.

Follow Maria on Twitter: @MazCoyne


Share:
Blog Design by pipdig