Monday 30 December 2013

My Top 10 Theatre picks of 2013!

So now is the time everyone starts to reflect on the year that is about to end, personally 2013 has been a very good year for me and I am very grateful for the lessons I've learnt and the things I have achieved this year. With the new year about to start and this blogs first anniversary just around the corner I've decided to look back on my top 10 Theatre moments I have witnessed over the past 12 months. So with out further ado, here we go! 

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane

   Photo by Helen Maybanks
I saw the show twice this year and if you're a regular reader of this blog you may remember me saying that they're faults with the show, I'm not retracting what I have said in my review by all means but I think the scale of the show deserves recognition. It is a good show and definitely the best family show of 2013 and most likely 2014! Click here to read my review.



Trevor Ashley in Liza (On an E)

    Photo by Darren Bell

Trevor Ashley came to London with his show Liza (On an E) back in May, having been a hit else where in the world he sure shock up London with this performance! He absolutely killed it and I thoroughly enjoyed the show! Filled with comedy that had the audience in fits of laughter it had to be featured in my top 10. Click here to read my full review. 

The Sound of Musicals on Channel 4


This 4 part series had every stagey person glued to their screens and I can't speak for all of them but I really enjoyed the show! First of all, to have this being aired on a main channel is amazing! Giving theatre the exposure it needs, wether it helped with ticket sales or not I'm just really happy it has been brought to the masses. Personally, I thought it was a well put together show and was an interesting insight to some of the things we don't see being the scenes. 


A Chorus Line at the London Palladium 

    Photo by Manuel Harlan

A Chorus Line was one of my favourite shows this year, not only was it filled with great show-stopper numbers but it also featured some of the best performances of 2013. Victoria Hamilton-Barritt, Leigh Zimmerman and Gary Wood were the stand outs for me but the Ensemble as a whole were just stunning. They all deserve so much credit. Click here to read my full review. 

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time at the Apollo Theatre  

    Photo by Brinkhoff/Mögenburg

We all know about the tragedy that happened recently at the Apollo Theatre during a performance of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time and my heart goes out to all those affected. But this play is in my top 10 because it is truly one of the best things I have ever seen. Luke Tredaway knocked it out of the park with his performance and Marianne Elliot has created a fantastic production. If you haven’t seen this yet, make you sure you put it on your must see list for 2014. Click here for my full review. 

The Sound of Music at the Regents Park, Open Air Theatre

    Photo by Alastair Muir

This was one of the most beautiful productions of a musical I have ever seen. This show was graceful at every moment and was everything you could ever ask from a production of The Sound of Music. Everything was right in this musical, especially the casting and the way Rachel Kavanaugh brought the story to the front rather than the much loved and legendary score. But that was performed impeccably as well. Click here for a full review. 

The 2013/14 cast of WICKED

    Photo by Matt Crockett
The last time I saw Wicked I said I wouldn’t bother going back, however I am so glad I did. The new cast breath a new life into the show. With one of the shows biggest cast changes since it opened they have brought so much energy into production. Previously I thought the show was tired and boring but now I take that back. Willemijn Verkaik and Savannah Stevenson, I believe, are one the best pairing’s I have ever seen, he new ensemble are young and energetic and if you’ve seen the show before I urge you to go back and see this cast. 

From Here To Eternity at the Shaftesbury Theatre 

    Photo by Johan Persson

From Here To Eternity was a surprise for me, I was expecting it to be terrible but it actually really impressed me. I thought it was a brilliant production. The highlight for me was the ensemble, the best ensemble in the West End and the show is driven by that. The musical has recieved mixed reviews and people tend to be divided about it but I loved it. If you’ve not seen it then go have a watch for yourself! Read my full review here. 

Jumpers For Goalposts at the Bush Theatre

    Photo by Elyse Marks

Jumpers for Goal posts is the modern day Beautiful thing, following a UK Tour it transferred to the Bush Theatre and has had a well deserved sell out run with it closing on the 4th January 2014. The play is really heartwarming with some deep subjects but also a lot of humour. The play deserves a transfer but in the mean time grab a copy of the play and give it a read! 

Beverley Knight in The Bodyguard 

    Photo by Paul Coltas

The Bodyguard had its first cast change this year and the soul superstar Beverley Knight stepped into the shoes of Rachel Marron. She brings the house down in this role! Her voice is just made for this, also her interpretation of he role was really sweet and driven which wasn’t something I expected of that character but it totally worked. Well done Bev! Click here for a full review of the show. 

Happy New Year Everyone! 

Share:
Blog Design by pipdig